Note: If you are changing versions during the move, Fog Creek highly recommends that you upgrade before you move. Alternatively, install the same version you're using on the destination server, perform the migration, and upgrade afterward. This is because of changes, especially to opengrok, which are external to the database.
Following some advice direct from the team at Fogbugz I've migrated my Kiln instance to a new server.
- Stop Kiln, FogBugz, the Kiln Storage Service, the Kiln Queue Service (for Kiln 2.7), Apache Tomcat and The FogBugz Maintenance Service on the old server.
- After stopping the services, make sure that the following processes have all been terminated:
- Kiln 2.7.x:
- Kiln 2.9.x:
- Move your KilnRepositories folder to the new server
- Follow these instructions to move FogBugz.
- Change these steps to run the Kiln installer on the new server instead of the FogBugz-only installer.
- Also detach and reattach the Kiln database when you move the FogBugz one.
- If you have Kiln 2.9.x please contact us for additional instructions about reindexing ElasticSearch.
It all worked for me first time (once I'd reinstalled my licences).
See also this post on moving just KilnRepositories, and this one on moving just the DB without moving Kiln.